Kannad Marine SafeLink R10 Personal AIS
The Kannad Marine SafeLink R10 is the first of its kind. A personal AIS (Automatic Identification System) device to fit to a lifejacket and assist in Man Overboard recovery.
The Kannad Marine SafeLink R10 transmits target survivor information, including structured alert messages, GPS position information and a unique serialised identity number back to an onboard plotter. An inbuilt high precision GPS receiver provides accurate position information to assist in quick recovery of survivors. It will transmit continuously for a minimum of 24 hours and has a 7 year battery storage life.
It also features a flashing LED indicator light; to aid detection at night and also a self test facility with battery use indication.
How The SafeLink R10 Personal AIS Works
- Mount the SafeLink R10 unit on a lifejacket by using the attachment clip provided
- In an emergency situation activate the SafeLink R10 AIS manually
- The R10 AIS transmits a unique emergency alert to all AIS receivers and AIS enabled chart plotters within a 4 mile radius (typical)
- An AIS SAR emergency icon signals the requirement for urgent help in a Man Overboard situation.
- Precise target survivor information including GPS position becomes viewable when the chart plotter* cursor is positioned over the emergency alert icon Provides exact location, range and bearing to locate person(s) in need of assistance.
- Manually activate the SafeLink R10 in two easy steps; when installed in the lifejacket the orange safety tab should be released, this ‘arms’ the R10 ready for use. To use, first inflate the lifejacket. When inflated, pull the orange tab downwards to pull the red cap off the R10. This will deploy the antenna and automatically switch ON the R10 SRS.
- If professionally fitted to a lifejacket, the R10 becomes semi-automatic in operation. The action of the lifejacket inflating triggers the activation of the R10
Automatic Activation Supported Life jackets (PFDs)
It is possible to fit the R10 so that it activates when the lifejacket inflates. Some of the life jackets currently authorised are the Spinlock Deckvest series, also available from Sky International.