Hartley 10 (H10)
The Hartley 10 is a very easy to manage entry level dinghy. This attractive little dinghy is particularly suited to those in the early stages of learning to sail or those who just want a simple boat for getting out and about on the water. It is made from a 3 layer rotomould polyethylene which is very robust, hard wearing and practically maintenance free.
The Hartley 10 has a single sail plan and the wide deep hull shape incorporates a very stable sit-in design with a high boom to more comfortably accommodate older youth and adult learners. The attractive hull shape moves swiftly over the water and self drains effortlessly.
The soft sail can be easily reefed by simply rotating the mast and wrapping the excess sail neatly around the mast to reduce the sail area. A high performance battened sail is also available as an option for those who what to experience the thrill of performance sailing.
The mast comes in two pieces for easier transport on a car top or road trailer.
- Very stable, manageable & forgiving
- Deep roomy cockpit – kind to knees & back
- Ample crew space – high boom – greater comfort
- High boom, better head clearance & visibility
- Dry boat – splash deflecting gunwale – self draining cockpit
- Easy to right after capsize – does not invert unless you sit or stand on mast
- Clear open transom – no fear of entrapment
- Comes upright with very little water in cockpit which quickly drains through self drainers
- Easily reefed
- Designed specifically for training & development
- Sail with 1 or 2 people
- New generation rotor mould design – historic build problems now eliminated
- Specially designed gunwales to lift & grip securely – no accessory handles to break
- Excellent hull shape that sails over waves effortlessly
- Manageable weight – not too heavy to manoeuvre on shore
- Attractive design appealing contemporary boat look
- Suitable for beginners, intermediate, adult & youth
- Length – 2.940m (10′)
- Beam – 1.28m
- Weight – 45kg
- Max. Capacity – 2 People
- Main Sail Area – 3.7m2
- Performance Main Sail Area – 5.1m2
The Hartley 10 dinghy is a wonderfully comfortable boat to sail. The balance and synergy between the hull and the sail area make it a very stable boat that is less likely to capsize than other boats of this size. However part of the excitement of sailing is the ever present possibility of becoming overpowered by the forces of nature and the inevitable capsize that follows. This very nature of dinghy sailing requires that we must always be able to right a boat after a capsize. Naturally the easier we can do this the safer it will be.
When you capsize this dinghy you will be pleasantly surprised at the ease with which you can right it. The buoyancy placement and hull shape result in this dinghy staying in the half way position for a very long time. Therefore giving you ample opportunity to get yourself safely into the recovery position. Moreover, even from an in water position it is easy to get onto the centreboard by using the moulded shapes in the hull as hand and foot holds. Once on the centreboard the boat comes upright with minimal effort with the aid of the built in righting lines.
During capsize tests we found it remarkably difficult to make this boat invert. Most importantly the high transom arches and lack of any obstruction at the transom provided a clear and unobstructed escape route should anyone end up under the boat. In addition, having the mainsail sheeted only from the centre of the boat has a distinct safety advantage because it eliminates the likelihood of entanglement in a stern bridle & mainsheet configuration.
Because of it’s unique shape and open transom design, the boat comes upright with minimal water in the cockpit. Then safely sail away on any point of sail to eliminate the small amount of water that remains.
The Hartley 10 is available in a number of set-up options, please go to the official site www.hartleyboats.com to see the full range of options. We are here to help too, feel free to get in touch and we can help with pricing and details, please call +852 2827 5876 or use our contact page.